Saturday, February 9, 2013

Connecting=Pride



Clarence Fisher thank you for skyping in with our class.  You talked about so much but what really drove home for me was how connecting your students with schools around the world you were able to make them realize how lucky they are to come from a small town.  Your students thought it must be awesome to live in LA until they learned they couldn't ride their bikes after dark or go swimming in the ocean whenever they wanted.  The students thought it would be great to live near shopping malls and celebrities until they realized they would have to give up the safety and freedom that they have in their home town.

I grew up in a small town about an hour north of Winnipeg and carry the small town pride with me every where I go.  When I was younger I wished I lived in Winnipeg because their was SO much to do their.  When I went to University in Winnipeg I realized I was wrong.  Sure I could go shopping whenever I wanted to and going to a movie didn't take up an entire evening but their was lots of things I missed.  I missed being able to run without almost being hit by a car or going quading through swamps.  There was also no privacy in the city and you could never see the stars.   Most importantly, small towns have a sense of community and support for one another.  For example, my best friend's mom has MS and needed to go for surgery.  The surgery was only available in the US and so it was going to cost a fortune to get the surgery done.  To help the family out the community put on a social, local businesses donated great prizes and they raised enough money and then some, to send my best friend's mom to get her surgery done.  It was amazing how much community support there is in a small town but you don't often find this in big cities.  For all these reasons I realized I want to raise my family and teach in a small town.

I have always thought it is important to help students have pride in their town and school but I struggled with how.  I know see that using skype and connecting my students with people around the world to do projects will enviable lead to this.  They students, while working in their projects with others students, will talk about their contrasting lives and in this the students will learn how lucky they are to live where they do.  Having pride in the school and their town will help the student to have pride in themselves as well and their is nothing more important then that.

5 comments:

  1. It is amazing that he has done so much with so many different schools around the world. I have always wanted to do that with a classroom, because the educational opportunities are incredible! I'm early, and you are senior years, but I think we should, no matter where we get jobs, do a collaborative project! The younger students would love it, and it would be a great mentorship for the older ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading about your love for small towns! I actually spoke a little about this in my blog as well. I am also from a small rural community, and I really loved growing up there. I suppose there were times when I would think less of it, but looking back I know I was very lucky. The best thing about it is definitely the close community aspect; knowing and being friends with everybody. Then there is the fact that I could walk and ride my bike on the street, and in the dark, I didn't have a curfew when I got older, I could walk from one end to the other in 15 minutes. Just a truly wonderful life in a small town! I am glad that Clarence found that opportunity to get his students to come to that realization too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your post! I could not agree with you more about loving small town life. I grew up in a small town and often wished I could live somewhere else and after high school I left and thought it was the best thing ever. But now when I go back home I love it. And I too know that is a place where I want to teach and potentially raise a family. I like walking down the street and knowing almost everyone. Being able to wave to people and stop and chat for 15 minutes in the grocery store with whomever. I am glad that Clarence got his class to see how nice it was to live in a small town, and get them to appreciate it now, so they can enjoy almost every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is awesome what we can do with technology these days. During my genetics lesson I had skyped in my Genetics Prof from the states and it was awesome. The students loved talking with her and really got a good insight into a genetics class. I am thinking next placement I might do it again but during one of the labs. That way students can see what a University lab looks like and peak their interest.

    Thank you
    Jen Falk
    "Teach long and prosper"-Star Trek

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up in WInnipeg and had a hard time adjusting to life in "small town" Brandon. I really didn't like how small Brandon felt, but I have grown to love this city. I absolutely love that I can go from one end of the city to the other in only minutes! In Winnipeg, it would take me 30 or more minutes to drive 20 blocks. I don't miss that. I love that Clarence talked about this issue and how global connections can increase a student's pride and love for their hometown. Also, when students connect with other communities from around the world, they learn to accept other cultures and develop empathy and tolerance.
    Good thoughts Anna, thank you.

    ReplyDelete